Chinese Orange Chicken

I can't remember exactly where or when I found this recipe, but I'm so glad I did. The whole family likes (ok, Kendall probably just tolerates) this dish. I serve it with rice or plain Ramen noodles (No season packets) and stir fry veggies (store-bought freezer section). And, with all of our Chinese dishes there are toppers of chow mein noodles, sunflower seeds, and sometimes chopped nuts.

Ingredients:

1-2 pounds of bite size chicken breast pieces (I typically cut up one butterfly boneless skinless chicken breast for our family of 4)
1/2 c pancake mix or flour
Oil for frying

1/3 c OJ Concentrate or 1/2 c Pulp-free orange juice
2 TBsp Orange Marmalade
4 TBsp brown sugar
1 tsp ACV
3 TBsp ketchup
2 tsp soy sauce
salt
pepper
garlic salt
red pepper flakes

Directions: 

1. Toss the chicken pieces in the pancake mix or flour in a large baggie. 
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat and cook the chicken pieces. 
3. While chicken is cooking, prep the sauce. Whisk remaining ingredients together in a bowl. 
4. When all the chicken is almost cooked, pour the sauce over and stir together. 
5. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens a little. 
6. *Optional: toss in a bag of stir fry veggies and a little water, cover and cook until veggies are heated through. (The kids don't care for orange flavored veggies, so I normally stir fry those in a separate skillet 

Crockpot Directions:

1. Toss the chicken in pancake mix or flour. 
2. Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. You don't have to cook them all the way. 
3. Toss the chicken in a crockpot
4. Mix sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken. 
5. Cook on low 6 hours or high 4 hours. 


Comments