Operation Christmas Child is something that my family participates in every fall. We're still fairly new to this (our 3rd year), but consider ourselves fortunate enough to be able to bless children around the world in this way. Another connection is with my MOPS group! Each table packs 1-2 (or more!) boxes as a group. This is a great way to split the costs of a box; maybe you can find a friend, neighbor, or church group to share with you.
Last year I distinctly remember both boys trying to stuff their boxes full of their very own toys because they knew they had too many and wanted to share with kids that didn't get toys like their own. It warmed my heart and is the very reason I introduced this project to my kids. I want them to know they can show love to kids they don't even know by sharing a Christmas present with them.
In my searches for items to pack and not to pack, I've come across many blog posts of great lists. BUT they originate from different areas of the country, or even the world. I can't find all of those items and sometimes I don't want to spend that much money on one particular item when I can fill the space with many other, smaller priced goodies.
So, Northwest Iowans, here is your giant list of great items that YOU can pack in your very own Operation Christmas Child Boxes. In case you are stretched for time, check out this feature where you can build a box online!
Before you start, check the link here so you know what NOT to pack in your box.
Apparel: Nothing with gang, violence, cigarette, drug, or alcohol references on them.
Academic Supplies
Toys/Activities: No weapons or army figures! Also, use keep in mind the age of the child you're packing for!
Life skills/Practical Items
Just some of the items awaiting a box at my house this year.
Last year I distinctly remember both boys trying to stuff their boxes full of their very own toys because they knew they had too many and wanted to share with kids that didn't get toys like their own. It warmed my heart and is the very reason I introduced this project to my kids. I want them to know they can show love to kids they don't even know by sharing a Christmas present with them.
In my searches for items to pack and not to pack, I've come across many blog posts of great lists. BUT they originate from different areas of the country, or even the world. I can't find all of those items and sometimes I don't want to spend that much money on one particular item when I can fill the space with many other, smaller priced goodies.
These are just some of the items that went in boxes last year at MOPS.
Our group collectively put together 20 boxes last year. I would love to see even more this year.
So, Northwest Iowans, here is your giant list of great items that YOU can pack in your very own Operation Christmas Child Boxes. In case you are stretched for time, check out this feature where you can build a box online!
Before you start, check the link here so you know what NOT to pack in your box.
Apparel: Nothing with gang, violence, cigarette, drug, or alcohol references on them.
- Socks
- Underwear
- Shirts *I look for $1 shirts at WalMart and stock up when I can!
- Dresses
- Skirts
- Tutus *To help pack this you can put it in a sandwich ziplock bag
- Flip flops *You can find these at most stores for $1 or less
- Sandals
- Water shoes *WalMart in Sioux City on Lewis has a cart near the front of the clothing section with $1 water shoes!
- Bandanas
- Winter hats, Gloves, Scarves *Consider making your own
- Baseball hats/Visors
- Jewelry: stick on earrings, clip on earrings, bangles, rubber bracelets, necklaces, novelty rings
- Sunglasses
- Watch
- Bar of soap* and washcloth- Put in a freezer ziplock baggie so the smell does not permeate everything in your box! Stick with original scents, nothing floral or musky.
- A soap box would also be great! $1 in the travel sections at many stores
- Comb/Brush- check with your local beauty salon- sometimes they have free ones!
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss- check with your local dentist for sample sizes!
- Toothbrush holders are also a great idea!
- Lip balm- something in a package that won't leak
- Travel tissues
- Band aids *character band aids would be fun!
- Hair ties, headbands, bows/flowers, clips *There are many tutorials on Pinterest to make your own
- Fingernail files (non-metallic)
- Feminine hygiene items
Academic Supplies
- No. 2 Pencils
- Pencil top erasers
- Big pink erasers
- Pencil sharpeners
- Ruler
- Glue sticks
- Glitter glue sticks
- Safety scissors- you can find great ones with lids!
- Compass
- Protractor
- Magnifying glass
- Notebooks
- Looseleaf paper
- Post it note pads
- Construction paper
- Penmanship paper
- Reading books* Your recipient may not speak English, so choose wisely!
- Stickers
- Markers
- Crayons
- Colored Pencils
- Rubber bands
- Paper clips
- Stationary set
- Coloring books
- Activity books: word finds, puzzle books, etc.
- Mini stapler with staples
- Watercolor paint set
- Chalk and mini chalkboard
- Mini dry erase board and markers
- Solar powered calculator
- Craft supplies: beads, pipe cleaners, wooden sticks, pompoms, felt, string, etc.
- Washi tape
Toys/Activities: No weapons or army figures! Also, use keep in mind the age of the child you're packing for!
- Marbles
- Yoyo
- Jump rope
- Glow sticks
- Stuffed animals
- Dolls
- Balloons
- Bouncy balls
- Silly putty
- Etch-a-sketch
- Magna-Doodle
- Tea set
- Card games like Crazy 8s and Old Maid *NOT decks of cards (gambling problems in some countries)
- Legos
- Small figurines
- Frisbees
- Helicopters
- Kazoos
- Koozie balls
- Harmonicas/Recorders
- Animal figurines
- Hot Wheels Cars
- Small toy trucks
- Chess, Checkers sets
- Paddle ball
- Jigsaw puzzles
- Hacky sack
- Binoculars
- Uninflated beach ball
- Toy doctor kit
- Key chains
- Bendy/spiral straws
- Hard candy in the original packaging plus a ziplock baggie
Life skills/Practical Items
- Small sewing kit with fabric, buttons, thread, etc.
- Jewelry making kit
- Bicycle repair kit *Found one at Walmart for $1.48
- Screw driver set
- Small tool kit (I believe you can package screw drivers, screws, nails, hammer in their original packaging PLUS plastic bags) *For the 10-14 age boys
- Flashlight with batteries
- Canteen/Water bottle
- Compass-directional, not mathematic
- Draw string bag, small purse, canvas tote, zippered pouch, etc. *Consider making some!
- Mosquito nets *found in the camping section at WalMart, Scheels
- Plastic poncho
- Camping eating utensils (no knives)
- Small size soccer ball with pump
- Duct tape roll
- Lovey - taggie, small animal, blanket, etc.
- Finger puppets
- Fabric chess set
- Alphabet set *Remember, your box may not go to an English-speaking country
- Bean bags
- Clothing items* see above
- Cloth feminine pads
- I-Spy blanket
Comments
Post a Comment