Twice Baked Potatoes

 
When I've thought of supper plans earlier than the normal "oh no! what's for supper again? Can I still make that with only 45 minutes to go?" I like to fancy things up with twice baked potatoes. Paired with a juicy grilled pork chop or some saucy meat balls, these potato halves seem to fill me up faster than other starchy sides.


Step 1: Bake your potatoes (Insert Mental Picture)
When I have the time I wrap the potatoes in foil (after they've been cleaned and stabbed with a fork a hundred or so times) and bake at 350 for 30-45ish minutes.

DO NOT SKIP THE FOIL! I tried to find a picture to show you why, but I'll have to tell you instead. Half an hour after deep scrubbing my oven, I finally had all the EXPLODED POTATO pieces cleaned! Yes, dear friends, your potatoes can explode. Lesson learned.

When I don't have the time (or I'm scared of exploding potatoes again) I microwave them in 5 minute intervals, flipping over after each time, for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes and how many are in the microwave.

You want the potatoes cooked just to the point where they give way when you pinch them, not all the way done.

Step 2: Wait a couple of minutes so you don't burn your fingers. Then, using a big spoon, halve each potato the long way so each side lies flat on a pan. Scoop out the insides into a mixing bowl. Try not to get down to the skin so you have a nice, sturdy potato to support your filling.


 
 
Step 3: Add a large scoop of sour cream, 1/4 cup or more of milk, shredded cheddar cheese, and butter/margarine to the potato that you scooped into a bowl. Measurements will vary depending on how many potatoes you're making. Mix into a nice, lumpy mashed potato like filling, or use a hand mixer if you want a smoother texture. I always opt for less dishes to wash, so lumpy it is for me!
This is also the point where you can add different seasonings: salsa, ranch packets, buffalo sauce, you get the picture. 
 
 
 
Step 4: Scoop the filling into the bare potato shells. At this point you can add more cheese on top or things like bacon bits, onion, peppers, or whatever you like with your potatoes. Pop the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. 
 

 
 
Happy non-exploding potato baking to you!

Comments