Childlike Faith

"Dear Jesus, thank you for the world so sweet. Dear Jesus, thank you for the world. Dear Jesus, thank you for our food. Dear Jesus, thank you that Daddy can drive home safe from work. Dear Jesus, thank you for making me better from my cold so I can go to school. Dear Jesus, thank you for our food. Amen."


Faith like a child is taking on new meaning to me. Instead of reciting a memorized prayer at supper, Eli has been open to just saying thanks. His little head bowed, hands clasped tight, and eyes squeezed shut with lips uttering the most beautiful words I have ever heard. Many nights I'm quick to wipe the tears away before anyone notices just how touched I really am by these simple prayers. I don't want Eli to feel hurt by thinking I'm upset by his prayers. They are happy tears; happy that my son is in love with His God and feels safe to pray to Jesus in front of us.

How often do we pray with such sincerity?

How often do we ask God our many requests without faith that He will answer?

How often do we forget to actually THANK God for the blessings He has given to us?

I recently saw a post online (Facebook, probably) that questioned: "What if you woke up one day with only the things that you thanked God for yesterday?"

Wow.

That brought the guilt trip home. What if......? Bye bye family, house, health, love, feelings, possessions, grace, forgiveness, peace....and the list continues.

I truly am so incredibly blessed and I feel thankful for all of it, but often I fail to tell God. We can all come up with excuses for not saying thank you. "I'm too tired." "I don't have time." These are contenders on my list, probably yours too.

As a mom I feel like I'm supposed to be the one setting the example, showing my boys how to pray among countless other things each day. I like being on the receiving end for once. Faith like a child....... is amazingly beautiful.

Thank you for showing that to me, Eli.

Comments