Applesauce Bars with Brown Sugar Frosting

Somewhere a while back (I'm too lazy to look for that post) I mentioned receiving a pretty cool cookbook full of recipes from my family members as a bridal shower present. I frequently use a large number of recipes from this book as they are definite favorites.

This particular recipe is among those favorites and it's a shame I don't make it more!

Applesauce Bars from the kitchen of Serena Marcus, my Great-Grandma. If any of you know her, you'll have tasted some of her cooking and can vouch for me when I say she is one of THE BEST cooks in the Midwest. Her baked chicken is something we all crave over here in Iowa and no one has been able to come close to replicating it. And don't even get me started on her pie. Oh, her pie! I'm not even embarrassed to say I'm drooling right now at the thought of her pies.

Back to the Applesauce bars. Moist, spicy apple flavor with a boiled brown sugar frosting. Yum-O!



Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup shortening (no substitutions!)
1 egg
2 cups applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts (chopped, optional)
1 cup dates (chopped, optional)

*I opt NO for the nuts and dates.

Blend all ingredients together thoroughly and pour in a greased 11 x 17 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

While the bars are in the oven you can prepare the frosting.

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk

Bring to a boil and maintain for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Add powdered sugar until you reach the right consistency. (1 1/2 cups is what I used and I had to spread the frosting with a spatula. Add less sugar if you want to be able to pour the frosting.)

Comments