I thought I'd do a little series on camping, my family's favorite weekend adventure. This first installment I'm focusing on PREPWORK. Everything it takes (ME) to get ready for a weekend away.
Tip #1: MAKE A LIST
Seriously though, make a list. It's a huge bummer to start in on your fun only to remember (too late) that you forgot to pack something important. Like your kid's pills. (Been there, done that!)
I'm lucky enough to have a camper with (not enough!) storage space so I can keep things packed just for camping. I have towels, sheets, and kitchen supplies that stay in the camper so I never have to worry about forgetting those things.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge in document sharing. This is the best I can do without bugging the hubby ;)
Tip #2: LAUNDRY BASKETS
This may seem like a no-brainer, but use big laundry baskets to tote all your supplies from the house to the camper/car. It saves you a million trips out there; when it's as hot and humid as it is today, the less trips the better!
Tip #3: PREPARE FOOD AHEAD OF TIME
This will save you so much time and energy! Not to mention you won't have a lot of space to work with when you leave home. Plan your menu before you leave and go through each step of each dish so you don't forget any vital spices, tools or ingredients.
Any food that can be cut ahead of time, cut it! Mix your pancake mix and keep it in a plastic bag. Portion out the snacks and have them available at appropriate times. Pre-Season meat (if you're able).
Tip #4: KEEP YOUR MEALS SIMPLE
You don't have to prepare a 5 course meal when you're camping. (Though it's possible!) We like to eat light meals and snack more throughout the day. And always, always save room for S'MORES and Pies and Dutch Oven Cake!
Tip #5: TOYS
Don't forget toys, bikes, games, swimsuits, balls, etc. to keep the kids (big and small) busy. There is nothing worse than the kids bugging me because they're bored. Last summer we picked every rainy weekend to camp, so inside toys are also necessary!
Tip #6: RESERVE YOUR SPOT
When at all possible, reserve a spot! It's a horrible feeling to get packed and make it to the campground only to find that there are no spots available. Ugh..... all that packing and planning and getting the kids pumped goes down the tube.
Make friends with the campground hosts and hostesses and call the morning you want to start camping. A lot of times they'll stake out a spot for you!
I could have a dozen more "tips" but I think the best learning tool is experience.
Do you enjoy camping? What do you do to prepare?
Tip #1: MAKE A LIST
Seriously though, make a list. It's a huge bummer to start in on your fun only to remember (too late) that you forgot to pack something important. Like your kid's pills. (Been there, done that!)
I'm lucky enough to have a camper with (not enough!) storage space so I can keep things packed just for camping. I have towels, sheets, and kitchen supplies that stay in the camper so I never have to worry about forgetting those things.
Please forgive my lack of knowledge in document sharing. This is the best I can do without bugging the hubby ;)
This may seem like a no-brainer, but use big laundry baskets to tote all your supplies from the house to the camper/car. It saves you a million trips out there; when it's as hot and humid as it is today, the less trips the better!
Tip #3: PREPARE FOOD AHEAD OF TIME
This will save you so much time and energy! Not to mention you won't have a lot of space to work with when you leave home. Plan your menu before you leave and go through each step of each dish so you don't forget any vital spices, tools or ingredients.
Any food that can be cut ahead of time, cut it! Mix your pancake mix and keep it in a plastic bag. Portion out the snacks and have them available at appropriate times. Pre-Season meat (if you're able).
Tip #4: KEEP YOUR MEALS SIMPLE
You don't have to prepare a 5 course meal when you're camping. (Though it's possible!) We like to eat light meals and snack more throughout the day. And always, always save room for S'MORES and Pies and Dutch Oven Cake!
Tip #5: TOYS
Don't forget toys, bikes, games, swimsuits, balls, etc. to keep the kids (big and small) busy. There is nothing worse than the kids bugging me because they're bored. Last summer we picked every rainy weekend to camp, so inside toys are also necessary!
Tip #6: RESERVE YOUR SPOT
When at all possible, reserve a spot! It's a horrible feeling to get packed and make it to the campground only to find that there are no spots available. Ugh..... all that packing and planning and getting the kids pumped goes down the tube.
Make friends with the campground hosts and hostesses and call the morning you want to start camping. A lot of times they'll stake out a spot for you!
I could have a dozen more "tips" but I think the best learning tool is experience.
Do you enjoy camping? What do you do to prepare?

Comments
Post a Comment