Summer Series: Dutch Oven Chicken

Hi Guys! Here's another Camping Post for you.
 
Hubby got a Dutch Oven for Christmas and we were finally able to take it on its maiden voyage this past weekend. Amazing. I don't know how we've camped so long without one of these! We don't have any fancy tools or tripods for it, but I feel it's only a matter of time before those are permanently packed in the camper as well.
 
For our very first item in the Dutch Oven we cooked a whole chicken. If you're interested in doing this yourself, here's the recipe. Enjoy!
 
Ingredients:
 
1 whole chicken, washed and patted dry
Olive oil
Seasonings of your choice: I used Pampered Chef's Garlic and Herb Rub and Black Pepper
Slices of onion (not pictured)
 
Place your chicken in a seasoned dutch oven. Drizzle olive oil over the chicken (almost enough to coat the whole bird). Season with your choice of herbs and top with slices of onion. Put the lid on the pot and get ready for some heat!
 
 
 
You should have a bed of coals red hot by this point. Make sure there's an even layer under the dutch oven. Then use a shovel to put a layer of coals on the lid so you have even cooking beneath and above. After an hour check the chicken. You want to see even cooking on all sides. At this point you want to put new coals on top and stir the ones on bottom. Cook for another 30 minutes. Carefully remove from the heat and put the chicken in a dish/on a plate to stop the cooking process.

 
As you can see, we left the chicken in for too long! (2 hours total....don't do that!) I kept the skin on so that's the only part that got burnt. Otherwise, it was delicious!

 
I served this with a hobo pack of potatoes, onions and carrots. A perfect hot meal for camping.
 
I'm sure I'll be sharing many more Dutch Oven recipes as we test them out ourselves.
 
 
 
What Dutch Oven recipes do you have to share?

Comments