One year ago today is the day my baby was born. It's funny trying to remember the little details because some things are so vivid and some things are a big fog.
I went into labor on October 8, 2010. I went to the hospital around 10 AM after driving to a therapy appt all the way in LeMars only to find out the therapist wasn't in that day. Let's just say I was in a REALLY bad mood. Contractions only made things worse. (I had had contractions on and off since 26-ish weeks and spent 3 or 4 nights in the hospital over the previous summer for monitoring.) When I arrived to the hospital they wanted to keep me for an hour or so to see if the contractions were regular. The doctor didn't come in for a couple hours and then we decided contractions were small, but regular. It was up to me if I wanted to go home or stay the night. I chose to stay because I was miserable and wanted Isaac out instead of in.
The next day contractions were more regular, but still very bearable as I was laughing, talking, and eating. I was put on Pitocin to speed things up and at some point had my water broken. After that happened, things changed from light to very intense and fast. Within 15 minutes of my water breaking, I was crying and asking for an epidural. The anesthesiologist was not in town and I had to wait 40 minutes to get stuck in the back. AND THEN they had the wrong size needle so I had to wait another 15 minutes after the Lidocain was in to get the epidural actually going. Kendall said it made him sick to look at me with a huge needle sticking out of my back and in pain. But, once the epidural kicked in I was feeling better and slept. I was miserable still and really groggy when someone woke me to check on things. I wasn't quite awake and ready to push. Isaac was starting to feel stressed and we were all the sudden in a hurry to get him out. A few pushes later he was born.
We were so shocked that he had a head full of blonde hair and that he was bigger than Eli. It was definitely love at first sight
and I also knew I was done having kids. I never want to go through labor and delivery again. With each one I broke my tailbone. I bet not many people know that. It's worse than giving birth. The healing process takes a while and it's painful. I couldn't get out of bed, sit on hard surfaces, or rock my baby in the glider. Let's remember this time I also had a 15 month old to run after every day. This is the part that's a fog-I don't know how we got through each day!! haha But, by God's grace we made it and are here today.
I love my Isaac and don't want him to grow up. I love that he wants to be rocked every night and cuddle up with me to take naps. I don't want that to change. But he's growing up so fast. He can climb now-I found him standing in a windowsill this week! And he's not walking, he's running. He can also say a couple words and loves to play tractor "pbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" I could go on and on with all of the things I love about my son, but I'll save it for another day. I'm so blessed!
I went into labor on October 8, 2010. I went to the hospital around 10 AM after driving to a therapy appt all the way in LeMars only to find out the therapist wasn't in that day. Let's just say I was in a REALLY bad mood. Contractions only made things worse. (I had had contractions on and off since 26-ish weeks and spent 3 or 4 nights in the hospital over the previous summer for monitoring.) When I arrived to the hospital they wanted to keep me for an hour or so to see if the contractions were regular. The doctor didn't come in for a couple hours and then we decided contractions were small, but regular. It was up to me if I wanted to go home or stay the night. I chose to stay because I was miserable and wanted Isaac out instead of in.
The next day contractions were more regular, but still very bearable as I was laughing, talking, and eating. I was put on Pitocin to speed things up and at some point had my water broken. After that happened, things changed from light to very intense and fast. Within 15 minutes of my water breaking, I was crying and asking for an epidural. The anesthesiologist was not in town and I had to wait 40 minutes to get stuck in the back. AND THEN they had the wrong size needle so I had to wait another 15 minutes after the Lidocain was in to get the epidural actually going. Kendall said it made him sick to look at me with a huge needle sticking out of my back and in pain. But, once the epidural kicked in I was feeling better and slept. I was miserable still and really groggy when someone woke me to check on things. I wasn't quite awake and ready to push. Isaac was starting to feel stressed and we were all the sudden in a hurry to get him out. A few pushes later he was born.
We were so shocked that he had a head full of blonde hair and that he was bigger than Eli. It was definitely love at first sight
and I also knew I was done having kids. I never want to go through labor and delivery again. With each one I broke my tailbone. I bet not many people know that. It's worse than giving birth. The healing process takes a while and it's painful. I couldn't get out of bed, sit on hard surfaces, or rock my baby in the glider. Let's remember this time I also had a 15 month old to run after every day. This is the part that's a fog-I don't know how we got through each day!! haha But, by God's grace we made it and are here today.
I love my Isaac and don't want him to grow up. I love that he wants to be rocked every night and cuddle up with me to take naps. I don't want that to change. But he's growing up so fast. He can climb now-I found him standing in a windowsill this week! And he's not walking, he's running. He can also say a couple words and loves to play tractor "pbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" I could go on and on with all of the things I love about my son, but I'll save it for another day. I'm so blessed!


Comments
Post a Comment