When my mom asked if I wanted any rhubarb, I didn't have to think twice about answering. Why, yes, I'd love some garden fresh rhubarb! As long as I don't have to cut it, I'm all for it!
Seriously though, there are BIG FAT SNAKES in that garden.
Just thinking about it is enough to make me shudder.
My mom knew she wanted to bake some rhubarb crisp. That sounded good but I needed a little something more than plain rhubarb. Strawberry rhubarb sounded like a perfect combo for me.
I looked up some recipes online and decided to tweak them to make them my own.
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 cups strawberries, washed and quartered
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 cup warm water
Mix the cornstarch, lemon juice and warm water so the cornstarch doesn't have any clumps. Pour over the rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the crumb topping.
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup quick oats
5 TBsp butter, cubed
Mix dry ingredients together and cut in butter with the back of a fork. When it's a fine dry mix, use your hands and smush it together to form big chunks. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Prepare a square or round 8" glass baking dish with butter (or cooking spray) AND 1 TBsp flour. Dump the rhubarb mix in and top with oat crumbs. Bake an hour at 350. Serve warm with whipping
cream or vanilla ice cream.
I love Summer desserts, don't you?
Seriously though, there are BIG FAT SNAKES in that garden.
Just thinking about it is enough to make me shudder.
My mom knew she wanted to bake some rhubarb crisp. That sounded good but I needed a little something more than plain rhubarb. Strawberry rhubarb sounded like a perfect combo for me.
I looked up some recipes online and decided to tweak them to make them my own.
| Crisp-y deliciousness right there |
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut in 1/2" pieces
2 cups strawberries, washed and quartered
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 cup warm water
Mix the cornstarch, lemon juice and warm water so the cornstarch doesn't have any clumps. Pour over the rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
| Just look at those beautiful colors! |
Meanwhile, prepare the crumb topping.
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup quick oats
5 TBsp butter, cubed
Mix dry ingredients together and cut in butter with the back of a fork. When it's a fine dry mix, use your hands and smush it together to form big chunks. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Prepare a square or round 8" glass baking dish with butter (or cooking spray) AND 1 TBsp flour. Dump the rhubarb mix in and top with oat crumbs. Bake an hour at 350. Serve warm with whipping
cream or vanilla ice cream.
| See those nice oat chunks? Perfect! |
I love Summer desserts, don't you?
Comments
Post a Comment