Grandma Henny Cookies

I have been eating these cookies by the handful since I was 1. They're a family favorite. I'm a 4th generation Grandma Henny cookie lover.

Why are they called Grandma Henny cookies? Because Grandma Henny (Henrietta Droog, my Grandma's mama) used to bake them all the time way up in North Dakota. My mom would have them every time her and my dad went to visit. Our family jokes about the name of these cookies all the time. Grandma Henny (remember, my grandma's mom) actually got the recipe from Grandma Cora (Cora Lourens, my grandpa's mom) in Pella. We really should call them Grandma Cora Cookies! (On a side note, the recipe that she says is Grandma Lourens' is actually Grandma Henny's!- total swip swap on that!)

Family history lessons aside, I love these cookies. They are a total comfort food. I didn't have time to bake them today, but I MADE the time. My stressed little mind feels a lot better now.



Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1 cup margerine (softened)
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups flour
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Mix sugars and margerine until smooth, add oil and egg. Stir in vanilla and dry ingredients, saving the chocolate chips for last. Use a teaspoon size cookie scoop and drop on a greased cookie sheet. (They don't get very big so you can fit more than a dozen on your sheet).

Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Don't let them get too brown!

I'm totally ok if you make these and eat like a dozen a day. They're little, it's really like you're eating 3 or 4 regular size cookies. I won't tell how many you eat if you won't tell how many I eat.

Oh, by the way, this batch makes like 10 dozen cookies. :D Enjoy!

Comments