This was surprisingly a really good supper!
I know that doesn't sound good, but I didn't have high expectations for it considering I threw it together without much of a plan. All I had on my meal plan was "Stromboli" figuring we wouldn't eat all the deli meat before last night.... but we did. The only meat I could find in the freezer (without going outside to the freezer in the garage) was some ham and thankfully I had cheese. We'd probably still be hungry if I didn't stock up on cheese last week!
Thus, due to some luck, this meal was born: Ham and Cheese Stromboli with Secret Sauce.
I made the Hubby guess what was in the sauce AFTER he had finished a slice; just in case he didn't like it. He didn't have a clue and it was fun to stump him :)
Can you guess before the end of the post? Here's your hint: 7 ingredients and it's sweet
Ingredients:
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
2 cups chopped ham
2 cups shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
Special sauce
Flour for rolling out the dough
Roll out the dough into a large rectangle (mine was roughly 8x15). Pour half of special sauce on half of the dough (lengthwise) and top with cheese and ham. Roll other half of dough on top and pinch seam closed. Cut slits in the top and cover with remaining sauce. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.
Did you guess right?
Now's your chance to find out.
Special Sauce:
2 TBsp melted butter
2 TBsp mustard
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp brown sugar
and the Secret Ingredient:
1 TBsp maple syrup!!! It seriously makes all the difference and it's so yummy!
We ate it too fast to take an after-baked picture, but you can imagine what it looked like. Yum-O.
I know that doesn't sound good, but I didn't have high expectations for it considering I threw it together without much of a plan. All I had on my meal plan was "Stromboli" figuring we wouldn't eat all the deli meat before last night.... but we did. The only meat I could find in the freezer (without going outside to the freezer in the garage) was some ham and thankfully I had cheese. We'd probably still be hungry if I didn't stock up on cheese last week!
Thus, due to some luck, this meal was born: Ham and Cheese Stromboli with Secret Sauce.
I made the Hubby guess what was in the sauce AFTER he had finished a slice; just in case he didn't like it. He didn't have a clue and it was fun to stump him :)
Can you guess before the end of the post? Here's your hint: 7 ingredients and it's sweet
Ingredients:
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
2 cups chopped ham
2 cups shredded cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
Special sauce
Flour for rolling out the dough
Roll out the dough into a large rectangle (mine was roughly 8x15). Pour half of special sauce on half of the dough (lengthwise) and top with cheese and ham. Roll other half of dough on top and pinch seam closed. Cut slits in the top and cover with remaining sauce. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.
Did you guess right?
Now's your chance to find out.
Special Sauce:
2 TBsp melted butter
2 TBsp mustard
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
2 tsp brown sugar
and the Secret Ingredient:
1 TBsp maple syrup!!! It seriously makes all the difference and it's so yummy!
We ate it too fast to take an after-baked picture, but you can imagine what it looked like. Yum-O.
Comments
Post a Comment