Homemade Fresh Strawberry Pie

I won't win first place at the fair with this pie, but it gets first place with my taste buds!

I love strawberries. I think I ate too many at one point in my childhood and developed an allergy to them. THANKFULLY that has resolved itself.

Strawberry pie is pretty darn near the top of my pie-loving list. It's pushing first with a good pecan pie....mmmm. (Writing about all this yummy food is so hard sometimes! My mouth is wattering all over the place.)

When a friend emailed and asked if I'd like to tag along to Getting's Garden I jumped all over that opportunity! Eat as many berries as I want while picking more to take home and eat to my heart's desire? YES PLEASE!

It was a perfect morning to pick berries and we filled our baskets in less than an hour. This is what 8 pounds of strawberries looks like: PERFECTION!




For our church fellowship meal I decided to share my strawberry-goodness and bake a pie. From scratch. No, it is not perfect. (See pie-sloppiness below) But it is so stinkin' YUMMY that I don't even care that it looks messy.

Homemade Strawberry Pie

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vinegar
5 TBsp cold water

Stir together first 3 ingredients in large bowl with a pastry knife. Beat egg with vinegar and water. Combine with flour mix and blend together. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes. Bake 11 minutes at 475. (Cover edges if you think they'll get too dark)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 TBsp cornstarch
1 package (small size) strawberry jello
2 pints sliced strawberries

Stir first 3 ingredients in saucepan over high heat until very thick. Remove from heat, stir in jello powder. Cool almost completely (you should be able to still pour and not form any lumps if you stir it) and then stir in sliced strawberries. Pour into baked pie shell and cool completely.









Is it Sunday lunch yet? I don't think I can wait that long!


Comments