These are the bars I think of when someone says they made "bars." I grew up with these. I'm certain my mom has made more of these bars than any other baked good. They are requested for family gatherings and then fighting when someone takes the last one. Ok, not fighting, but mean looks and maybe a sticking-out of the tongue.
I like my bars gooeyer (is that a word?) than what my mom makes so I tweak her recipe just a little.
Here's what I make:
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups (and a little more) quick cooking oatmeal
Cream the butter and sugar. Mix in eggs. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Stir into creamed mix a cup at a time. Stir in oatmeal. Press 2/3 of dough into greased jelly roll pan (I have an 11"X17" pan, so that's what I use :S) Set aside remaining dough.
12 oz. Hershey's Milk chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 Tbsp butter
1 tsp Vanilla
pinch of salt
Mix chocolate chips, milk, butter, and salt in microwave safe bowl and melt. When it's smooth, add the vanilla, mix, spread over crust.
Dot remaining oatmeal over chocolate filling.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown.
Then you eat. Starting with a little bar-still warm and then just grab a fork and eat from the pan because there's no one stopping you!
Comments
Post a Comment